The ins and outs of how one deals with writing, getting published, and the everyday catastrophes

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Loosing the voice of a character

In my newest venture that I have discussed here before it seems that there are numerous curve balls being thrown my way. First I get too close, so I put it down. Then, I can't seem to want to get back into it. I picked it up after just a few weeks and now I find that I hate one of the characters. She is a supporting character who is supposed to be, well, supportive. However, I find that I have written her to be so annoying. She needed to be that strong BFF, but I feel like she is just an obstacle. Maybe she can become part of the problems the protagonist overcomes as well. Maybe I should off her and really shake things up.... just kidding that would take the work into a whole new direction. I just haven't been able to regain her voice. I find myself not wanting to write her dialogue. I will persevere. Maybe I need to watch a strong female character movie to regain some perspective. Maybe I need to go hang out at a chick's biker bar. That would be some interesting research to share with the hubby. I promise I am not turning lesbian... I really needed to get to know these women it is all in the name of research :) he would love that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment